History of the School of Electronics and Communications Engineering
The School of Electronic and Communications Engineering is one of the oldest schools of electronic engineering in Ireland, with the first courses in wireless telegraphy inaugurated in 1911. Other courses in Radio Communications were established prior to 1918 and were directed primarily at the requirements of Marine and Aircraft Radio Officers. In the late 1930s professional and more broadly based courses in Electronics and Radio Engineering were established. These professional courses prepared students for external examinations conducted by the British Institution of Radio Engineers (Brit IRE), which was re-named the Institution of Electronic and Radio Engineers IERE) and finally merged in the 1980s with The Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE). The Technician Courses were mainly directed towards qualifications of the City & Guilds of London Institute.
In the 1960's the old building, which housed the School was replaced with a new building. At that time also it was recognised that the City & Guilds examinations were inappropriate in terms of both level and subject matter for the purposes of technician graduates required by Irish and International industry. The absence of suitable external awards resulted in the decision of the College in 1967 to confer its own Diploma awards. The first diplomas were awarded in 1970. The successor to the original electronic engineering diploma courses was a three-year full time ab initio diploma course entitled Diploma in Applied Electronics (Programme reference DT287), validated in 1995.This is a technician engineering course with a significant level of analytical course content.
In 1982 a two-year course entitled Technician Certificate in Electronics (Programme reference DT289) was established. This was in response to the demands from industry for technicians to work at a level which did not require the analytical approach of three-year ab-initio technician diploma courses offered by the Institute at that time. This was reviewed in 2000 and re-titled Certificate in Electronic and Computer Systems.
In 1996 the Diploma in Electronic Systems (Programme Reference DT280) was added to the suite of programmes operated by the School. This programme was successfully revalidated in May 2002, with both full-time and part-time modes of study.
In 1999 a four year Degree programme (Bachelor of Engineering) in Computer Engineering Programme reference DT081) was inaugurated. The School is also jointly responsible with the School of Control Systems and Electrical Engineering for the Degree Course (Bachelor of Engineering) in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (Programme reference DT021). In 2003 a new programme, DT008, commenced. DT008 is 3-year ordinary degree in Electronics and Communications engineering.